When I make chicken stock, I take the chicken bones place them into a pot and cook for about 2 days or so. The hardest part about making chicken stock in my household is getting everyone to save their chicken bones!
Here’s what you need:
- Organic chicken bones from 1 to 2 chickens
- Organic chicken skin from the 1 to 2 chickens, optional (Makes more schmaltz that way)
- Unchlorinated and unfluoridated water, enough to cover the chicken bones by at least 1 inch
Here’s how I do it:
- Place the chicken bones into the pot
- Make sure that you fill the pot with water so that there’s at least an inch over the chicken bones.
- Boil the water then turn the heat to a simmer
- Boil for at least 2 to 3 days. (You can turn off the heat at night or when you leave the house, it will not affect the stock.)
You may also put vegetables into the stock but I use my leftover vegetable pieces for my Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock. Something that I’ve read about but have not tried is baking the bones before placing them into the stock pot.