I’ve adapted the original recipe just a bit to make it organic and synthetic-chemical free.
Here’s What You Need:
- 1 Tbsp. organic white vinegar
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. organic grass-fed whole milk
- 2 sticks organic pasture butter, softened
- 1 cup of organic granulated cane sugar
- 4 large organic pasture eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup of freshly squeezed organic lemon juice, divided
- 3 cups of organic unbleached white flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Homemade Baking Powder
- scant 1/2 tsp. of Real Salt
For the icing:
- 1 cup of organic powdered sugar (made at home from organic cane sugar with a food processor)
- 2 Tbsp. organic lemon juice
- splash of Simply Organic Lemon Flavoring (this is just organic sunflower oil and organic lemon oil)
- splash of water (as needed to keep the glaze at the desired consistency)
Here’s How I do it:
- Combine the vinegar, milk and 1/4 cup of lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.
- Grease and flour the bundt pan then dust it with flour. (Be sure to tap the pan so that you can remove the extra flour.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the granulated sugar and softened butter in a mixer until well blended (about 2 minutes on medium to medium high).
- Add the four eggs and mix until completely blended (a minute or so).
- Add the milk mixture and 1/2 cup of lemon juice in the mixer until well blended (a minute or so).
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. (I used a wire whisk and stirred gently.)
- Pour half of the dry ingredients into the mixer and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the other half of the dry ingredients into the mixer until the batter is completely smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Smooth the batter on the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice, 1 tsp. of Simply Organic Lemon Flavoring and water (to desired consistency). I made my glaze a bit thicker and drizzled it over the cake in places instead of having it look like a glazed doughnut.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack for 7-10 minutes.
- Tap the cake onto a plate.
- Put the glaze onto the cake with a spoon.