Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 medium to large organic tomato
- 1/2 an organic yellow onion, peeled AND 1 Tbsp. organic yellow onion, minced; divided
- 3 organic garlic cloves, peeled AND 2 organic garlic cloves, minced; divided
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. Homemade Organic Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Real Salt (My stocks are unsalted, if you’re using salted stocks taste BEFORE adding salt!)
- 2 Tbsp. organic cilantro OR *1 tsp. dried organic cilantro
- 2 1/2 cups Homemade Organic Chicken Stock or Homemade Organic Beef Stock
- 1 Tbsp. organic tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. organic schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
- 2 cups organic brown rice
- 1 tsp. organic ground cumin
Here’s How I do it:
- Heat a medium-sized skillet to medium.
- Place the whole tomato, 1/2 white onion, and peeled garlic cloves into the skillet.
- Allow the vegetables to char on all sides.
- Place the charred vegetables into a half-gallon jar, or other tall container, to blend in.
- Add the salt, cilantro, and 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
- Blend together with an immersion blender until pureed.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock along with the tomato paste and blend until the paste is dissolved.
- Add the schmaltz into a skillet at medium heat until melted and warm.
- Add the rice, minced onion, minced garlic and cumin into the skillet.
- Cook the rice, stirring constantly, until it is slightly dried out and lightly brown on the outside, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the reserved liquid to the rice, mix well and bring to a boil.
- When the rice starts to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting for your stove, cover and simmer for 40 – 60 minutes without uncovering or touching it, or until tender. (Brown rice takes longer to cook than processed white rice does.)
- When finished, uncover the rice and fluff with a fork.