Here’s what You’ll Need:
- 25 oz. jar organic crushed tomatoes or organic tomato puree
- 1 quart Homemade Organic Chicken Stock, Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock or Homemade Organic Beef Stock (depending on whether you want this to be vegetarian or what meat you’re using.)
- 1 Tbsp. organic Italian Seasoning (or, you can use any other herbs you’d like. Surprisingly, peppermint or spearmint is really good in this sauce!)
- 4-6 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cup organic yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium organic tomatoes, chopped
- 4-6 organic cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Homemade Organic Chicken Roast or 2 cups browned grass-fed ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. of organic cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Real Salt
- 1 tsp. organic freshly ground peppercorn blend
Here’s how I do it:
- You can put everything into a Crock Pot, cover, then bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer until it reaches the desired thickness. (Approximately six to eight hours.)
- You’ll need to add 1-2 Tbsp. of rendered fat (tallow, schmaltz, butter) to a large frying pan.
- Add the onions and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, stock, meat (if using) and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat once the sauce is boiling, cover and allow it to simmer (usually the lowest heat setting).
- Allow to simmer until the desired thickness is reached. If you need some additional thickening power and you’re shorter on time, add some organic tomato paste until the desired thickness is reached.