This recipe was adapted from Betty Crocker’s Dinner in a Dish cookbook. This is a type of strata.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup organic onion, chopped
- 2 ribs organic celery, chopped
- 3 – 4 Tbsp. Homemade Organic French’s-Styled Classic Mustard OR Homemade Organic Basic Yellow Mustard (Enough to coat the meat and vegetable mixture)
- 1 tsp. Real Salt, divided
- 6 slices of organic or homemade bread (day old is fine, or slightly dry), toasted
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pastured egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup organic full-fat milk
- A few turns of freshly ground organic peppercorn blend
- 1/8 tsp. organic dry mustard
- organic pastured butter, to spread on toasted bread
- Organic sweet paprika, for sprinkling (if desired)
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toast the bread, if necessary.
- Butter both sides of the bread and cut in half diagonally.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; Mix the prepared mustard with the meat mixture and set aside.
- Add onions, celery, and 1/2 tsp. salt to the skillet and mix well.
- Cook for about 4-6 minutes or until the onions appear transparent.
- Grease a 9″ x 9″ pan (I’d suggest using organic pasture butter or home rendered tallow).
- Arrange the toast, hamburger mixture, cheese and a sprinkling of salt in alternating layers, starting with the buttered toast.
- Mix milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 beaten egg, pepper and 1/8 tsp. dry mustard in a bowl; Pour the mixture over the layers in the casserole dish, making sure to coat the bread with the liquid.
- Sprinkle with Paprika, if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes