Wow, I am so glad that I was able to make this sauce. The recipe that I adapted can be found here. I added more turmeric to the recipe to get the traditional color. Otherwise it would look much more like ketchup mixed with raisin puree. I think it turned out pretty well. The taste matures in the refrigerator, so allow it to marinate overnight.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1/3 cup organic raisin puree
- 1 cup organic distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup organic raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup [8 ounces/ 7 ounces plus 2 Tbsp.] organic tomato paste
- 1/2 cup unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
- 2 Tbsp. Homemade Organic Basic Yellow Mustard; OR Homemade Organic French’s-Styled Classic Yellow Mustard
- 2 Tbsp. homemade organic applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 2 Tbsp. organic lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. pureed organic onion
- 1 organic clove garlic, pureed
- 4 tsp. organic turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. Homemade Chili Powder
- 1 pinch organic cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch organic celery seed
Here’s How I do it:
- Pour the 1/3 cup of raisins into a pint-and-a-half jar with 1/3 cup of water.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion to the raisins, and puree for a minute on low with an immersion blender.
- Put the puree and the remaining ingredients into a 2 quart chef’s saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes.