This recipe is adapted from the Southern Heritage Plain and Fancy Poultry Cookbook. This is a wonderful recipe for tomato soup that doesn’t have any sugar in it at all.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 8 medium organic tomatoes, diced (approximately 6 cups)
- 3 cups water (I used Homemade Organic Chicken Stock instead. Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock or Homemade Organic Beef Stock would work, too.)
- 1 medium organic onion, chopped
- 2 small organic bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. organic celery seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. organic freshly ground peppercorn blend
- 1/4 tsp. organic red pepper (I used organic cayenne pepper)
- 4 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 4 1/2 Tbsp. organic unbleached white flour
Here’s What I do:
- Combine the chopped tomatoes, stock or water, chopped onion, bay leaves, Real Salt, peppercorn blend and cayenne pepper in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring well.
- Make a roux out of the flour and butter. (Combine until it forms a paste.)
- Add roux to the soup and stir until it is well blended.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then use an immersion blender to blend the soup into a puree.