I found this recipe in Betty Crocker’s Picture Cook Book reprinted in 1998, and adapted it slightly.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups unbleached organic white flour
- 2 tsp. Homemade Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 2/3 cup home rendered lard
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon juice
- 1 organic pastured egg yolk, unbeaten
Here’s How I do it:
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Mix the hot water, lemon juice and lard together in a small bowl until the lard is completely melted.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients.
- Mix with your hands until well blended.
- Knead the dough until it’s no longer tacky. (Add flour if necessary so that the dough doesn’t stick to your skin.)
- Chill the dough for at least an hour.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Roll each half of dough onto a well floured surface.
- You now have enough dough for two crusts.