I got the original recipe from the Williams – Sonoma Muffins cookbook. I have adapted this recipe.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/2 cups of organic white unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup organic walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 cup organic walnut oil or melted organic pasture butter
- 1 large pasture egg
- 2 or 3 medium to large very ripe bananas, slightly smashed to yield 1 1/4 cups.
- 3 Tbsp. organic buttermilk or organic whole milk
- Organic pasture butter, for greasing muffin tin
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease 10 muffin cups with pasture butter.
- Fill the unused cups 1/3 cup full of water to prevent warping of the muffin pan.
- Mix the flour, sugar, chopped walnuts, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the butter or oil, egg, mashed bananas, and buttermilk or milk until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat well until evenly combined and creamy.
- Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it level with the cup.
- Bake until golden, dry and springy to the touch, approximately 20 – 25 minutes. A toothpick inserted to the center of the muffin should come out clean.
- Place the muffins on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature with Maple Butter or butter.