There are a lot of recipes that call for seasonings in stocks. I prefer to leave mine without seasonings because they are more versatile when cooking dishes of various types.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 1/2 pounds wild caught shrimp shells and heads
- unchlorinated and unfluoridated water, to cover
Here’s How I do it
- Rinse the shrimp shells and heads with hot water.
- Place into a large stock pot.
- Fill with water 2″ above shrimp pieces, cover.
- Bring the pot to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 -3 days. (You can turn off the heat if you have to leave the house and turn it back on when you get home without ruining the stock.)
- Strain as many times as necessary to remove the grit from the stock (clarify).