I found this delicious recipe from The Southern Heritage Plain and Fancy Poultry Cookbook. I have adapted this recipe.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/4 cups organic unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp. Homemade Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 cup mashed organic sweet potatoes [1 medium organic sweet potato–boiled then mashed]
- 1/3 cup organic pasture butter, more for greasing bowl
- 1 organic pasture egg, beaten
Here’s How I do it:
- Cook the sweet potato(es) and mash them, if you haven’t all ready done so.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes, butter and beaten egg to a pint-and-a-half sized mason jar.
- Blend well with an immersion blender, starting on low so that it doesn’t splatter everywhere. (I keep the skins on potatoes when I cook them. This step is to ensure that the potato skins are adequately blended into the pie crust. If you’re worried about how it’ll look or preparing this for a special meal, go ahead and skin the potatoes.)
- Stir the potato mixture into the dry ingredients, blending well.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Add some butter to a bowl that will fit the formed dough ball.
- Place the dough ball into the bowl and the bowl into the refrigerator. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once refrigerated, roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll into 1/4-inch thickness; trim to 1/2 ” larger than the casserole.
- This recipe will yield enough pastry for one crust.