I have scoured the internet and many cookbooks looking for the perfect flour tortilla recipe. I have found it, my friends! This recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cook Book printed in 1977. I have adapted this recipe only to make it organic.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups organic unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 tsp. Homemade Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp. homemade lard
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup warm water (110°)
Here’s How I do it:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in the lard until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water and mix until dough can be gathered into a ball. (If needed, add more water, 1 Tbsp. at a time.)
- Let dough rest 15 minutes, covered with a clean kitchen towel.
- Divide dough into 12 portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten each ball with a small luncheon plate.
- Roll each flattened ball into a 7-inch round.
- Trim uneven edges to make round tortillas, if necessary.
- Cook in an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat until each tortilla is lightly browned on both sides.
- Yields 12 tortillas.