Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 3 cups organic white unbleached flour
- 3/4 tsp. homemade baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Real salt
- 1 cup organic pasture butter, softened
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 organic pasture egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. organic whole milk
- 2 tsp. organic baker’s emulsion (Simply Organic Lemon Flavoring, highly recommended)
- 1 tsp. organic Homemade Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. organic non-irradiated poppy seeds
- Homemade powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
Here’s How I do it:
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color.
- Add egg, milk, lemon flavoring and vanilla extract, beat to combine.
- Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl; Gently fold in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar.
- Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator at a time, sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar, and roll out dough to 1/4″ thick. Move the dough around and check underneath frequently to make sure it is not sticking. (If dough has warmed during rolling, place cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill.)
- Cut into desired shape, place at least 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat, and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time.
- Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removal from oven and then move to complete cooling on wire rack. Serve as is or ice as desired.
- Store in airtight container for up to 1 week. They don’t usually last that long at my house, though.