The original recipe is by Aaron McCargo Jr. and found at Food Network. This is a seriously great recipe. I’ve slightly adapted this recipe, and it’s still amazing.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 4 (6-ounce) wild-caught cod fillets
- homemade bread crumbs
- 2 pastured eggs, for egg wash
- Real Salt
- Freshly cracked organic peppercorn blend
- 4 Tbsp. organic grapeseed oil
- 1/2 organic lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 1 sprig fresh organic thyme
- 1 recipe Organic Chive Butter Sauce
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat oven to 400 ° F.
- Place the fillets on a sheet tray or rack so the fish can release its natural juices.
- Place the bread crumbs into a shallow dish.
- In a separate shallow dish add 2 beaten eggs.
- Season both sides of the fillet with salt and pepper.
- Once seasoned, brush the belly side of the cod with the egg.
- Dip the egg side of the cod into the bread crumbs.
- In a cast iron skillet add grapeseed oil.
- Before placing fish into pan, make sure the skillet is very hot.
- Sear only one side of the fish (the side with the bread crumbs).
- Once that side is seared, place the skillet in the oven for about 3 to 4 minutes until cooked.
- Once the fish is cooked, flip it over and add the lemon juice, butter and sprig of thyme. Let melt and baste the fish with the juice.
- Pour the Organic Chive Butter Sauce over the cod and serve.