Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 recipe Handheld Pocket Dough
- 1 cup Homemade Organic Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups organic broccoli florets, steamed and finely chopped
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 organic pasture egg or two organic egg whites
Here’s How I do it:
- Make the dough and cheese sauce, if they’re not all ready prepared. Also prepare the broccoli if it’s not all ready prepared.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Using organic pasture butter, grease the pan that you’re going to bake the pockets on.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces.
- Form each piece into a small ball.
- Roll each ball into a square that’s large enough for two pockets.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Prepare sauce: Steam the broccoli until well done, approximately 10 minutes. Strain the broccoli, reserve the liquid for making Homemade Vegetable Stock. Place the broccoli back into the pot and add the cheese sauce. Mix until thoroughly blended.You can add some of the reserved cooking water if the sauce is too thick. (Remember, the sauce will thicken as it cools.)
- Place 1 -2 Tbsp. sauce mixture on the bottom of half of the pocket.
- Using either water or more sauce, wet the edges of the dough.
- Fold the pocket in half.
- Using the prongs of a fork, press down on the dough around the edges to form a seal.
- Scramble the egg, if using a whole one, or stir the egg white.
- Brush the egg onto the top of the pastry.
- Poke holes into the pastry with the fork.
- Place the pastry onto the baking pan.
- Repeat steps 8 – 16 until all pastries are completed.
- Bake at 350° F for 20 – 25 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown on top.