Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 recipe Handheld Pocket Dough
- 1 cup Organic Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1 lb. organic pasture ham, cubed into 1/4″ dices
- Additional Homemade Organic Pork Stock, if needed
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp. organic freshly-ground peppercorn blend
- organic pasture butter, for greasing baking sheets
- 1 organic pasture egg or two organic egg whites
Here’s How I do it:
- Make the dough and cheese sauce, if they’re not all ready prepared.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Using organic pasture butter, grease the pan that you’re going to bake the pockets on.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces.
- Form each piece into a small ball.
- Roll each ball into a square that’s large enough for two pockets.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Prepare sauce: Cook the ham until well done. Add the cheese sauce to the skillet without removing the ham drippings from the pan. Mix until thoroughly blended. Add more pork stock to the mixture if it’s too thick. (Remember, the sauce will thicken as it cools.)
- Place 1 – 2 Tbsp. mixture on the bottom of one-half of the pocket.
- Using either water or more sauce, wet the edges of the dough.
- Fold the pocket in half.
- Using the prongs of a fork, press down on the dough around the edges to form a seal.
- Scramble the egg, if using a whole one, or stir the egg white.
- Brush the egg onto the top of the pastry.
- Poke holes into the pastry with the fork.
- Place the pastry onto the baking pan.
- Repeat steps 9 – 16 until all pastries are completed.
- Bake at 350° F. for 20 – 25 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown on top.