Warning, this salsa is pretty hot. You can adjust the heat to your specific tastes by using the tips throughout this recipe. Please note that jalapenos freeze well, but they become HOTTER after frozen.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1-2 organic green jalapeno peppers
- 1 large organic yellow onion
- 2 organic garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Homemade Organic Salsa Verde
- 1/2 cup Homemade Organic Chicken Stock or Homemade Organic Beef Stock
- 2 Tbsp. lard (or other fat for sauteing)
- 1 Tbsp. organic lime juice or the juice of 1 large organic lime
- 1/2 tsp. organic dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. organic cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
Here’s How I do it:
- Warm the lard (or fat of choice) in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and saute for 4 minutes.
- (If you want your salsa to be mild, remove the membranes and seeds from the jalapenos and place them into the skillet at the same time as the onions.)
- Add the garlic to the skillet and saute for an additional 2 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- (If you want your salsa to be medium, add the jalapenos to the skillet now)
- Place the onion mixture, and jalapenos if you didn’t cook them, into a glass jar (a wide-mouth pint-and-a-half jar works well).
- Using an immersion blender, puree the vegetable mixture.
- Add the salt, lime juice, dried cilantro and cumin to the puree and pulse with the immersion blender on low.