Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup organic cornmeal
- 1/2 cup organic unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. Homemade Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. organic garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. organic onion powder
- 1 tsp. Homemade Organic Cajun Dry Rub
- 1 organic pasture egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup organic buttermilk (organic whole milk can be substituted)
- Lard, for frying
Here’s How I do it:
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, garlic powder, onion salt and Cajun dry rub together in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix the milk and egg together thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Stir until well blended and slightly lumpy.
- Drop the hushpuppies into the hot lard by the tablespoonful.
- Cook until they’re golden brown.