Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb. organic potatoes (Russet works great, but any kind will do.)
Here’s How I do it:
- Grate the potatoes and place them into a colander.
- Once all of the potatoes are grated, run water over them for 10 minutes mixing occasionally to get all of the starch removed from the potatoes.
- For Freezing: While the water is running, line 3 -4 baking sheets with parchment paper. After the potatoes are finished being under the running water, spread the hashed potatoes across the parchment paper. Try not to overlap them too much. Freeze them in a deep freezer for 10 minutes, then transfer to a glass Mason jar with tight-fitting lid. Return them to the freezer and use like frozen hash browns from the store.
- If you don’t want to freeze them, you can add some lard or, other fat for frying, into a medium-sized frying pan over medium high heat. Add the hash browns and cook them until brown and crispy on one side. Do not turn them until they’re finished on the one side. Do the same on the other side. You may season them however you wish; salt, pepper, etc.