Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb. organic pork belly, sliced thin like bacon OR organic bacon without synthetic additives
- 1 small organic yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups frozen Homemade Organic Hash Brown Potatoes
- 2 1/4 cups organic grass-fed whole milk
- 8 large organic pasture eggs
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. organic freshly ground peppercorn blend
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated organic nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. organic dry mustard
- 4 cups cubed organic multigrain bread; crusts removed, diced and dried for croutons
- 1 cup grated organic cheddar
- 1 cup freshly grated organic Parmesan
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon over medium-high heat until it is cooked through.
- Using additional lard, butter or bacon grease, coat a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish.
- Add the onion and saute over medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the hash browns and break apart. Saute until crispy, about 10 -15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard.
- Whisk briskly to blend.
- Spread the onions and hash browns evenly at the bottom of the greased dish.
- Place the bread cubes evenly on top of hash browns. With a slotted spoon distribute sausage as the third layer. Pour the milk and egg mixture over these layers.
- Add Parmesan as the next layer, and then add the cheddar as the final layer.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
If you’d like, you can refrigerate the casserole overnight before baking.