I have adapted this recipe from Emeril Lagasse. I have made it synthetic-chemical free, organic and altered the method to make the ice cream without an ice cream maker.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups [1 pint] grass-fed organic heavy cream
- 2 cups grass-fed whole milk
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Homemade Organic Instant Coffee
- 6 organic pasture egg yolks (3 “Ooey Bird” eggs will work fine since there’s two yolks in each egg. Reserve the egg whites for another use. Freeze if not using within a couple of days.)
Here’s How I do it:
- Place the cream, milk, and coffee into a medium saucepan, over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Alternatively, you can also use an electric mixer on low with the whisk attachment.
- Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- Strain the milk mixture to remove any small pieces of coffee bean.
- Pour the milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking continuously as you pour.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan over medium heat.
- Continue to cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Place the custard into a stainless steel mixing bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool for 30 minutes on the counter.
- Refrigerate mixture for at least 6 hours or overnight, stirring often.
- Place the mixture into the freezer.
- Stir the mixture every 15 minutes for 1 hour.
- Place the mixture into the deep freezer for at least 8 hours.