I have adapted this recipe from Top Secret Recipes.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 Tbsp. organic pasture butter, divided in half
- 2 organic pasture eggs, scrambled
- 1/4 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. organic freshly-ground peppercorn blend
- 2 slices organic sourdough bread
- 1 organic pasture ham steak
- 4 slices organic swiss cheese (cut from a block of cheese)
- 4 slices organic colby, cheddar or jack cheese (cut from a block of cheese)
- organic lard or other fat for frying
Here’s How I do it:
- Put an omelette pan (or small frying pan) over medium high heat.
- Add lard to the pan and allow to get warm and bubbly.
- Fry the ham steak. Make sure to get a good sear on each side of the ham, but don’t overcook it; Set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium.
- Mix the salt and pepper with the eggs and scramble them.
- Add more lard to the pan and allow to get warm and bubbly.
- Add the eggs to the pan and cook until 3/4 done.
- Flip the egg into an omelette; Set aside. (This is for easier eating, but scrambled eggs work, too.)
- Place cheese on both pieces of bread (save a slice or two for the middle of the sandwich).
- Place the omelette on one piece of bread and the ham on the other.
- Place the remaining cheese on the piece of bread with the ham on it.
- Add some butter to the frying pan, being sure to leave it in the middle of the pan.
- Quickly add the piece of bread with the omelette on it on top of the butter.
- Once the bread is toasted, take it off of the heat.
- Place it on top of the bread with the ham slice on it.
- Add another pad of butter to the center of the pan.
- Place the sandwich on top of the butter.
- Cook until the other piece of bread is toasted.
- Slice diagonally and serve.