This is the chicken version of Shepherd’s Pie (which is made with lamb).
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup shredded Homemade Organic Chicken Roast
- 1 cup Homemade Organic Chicken Stock
- 1 cup organic frozen peas
- 3-4 organic carrots, chopped
- 1 organic yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup organic green beans
- 2 tsp. organic Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp. organic freshly-ground peppercorn blend
- 2 Tbsp. organic home rendered schmaltz (chicken fat)
- 3 cups Homemade Organic Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1/2 cup organic grass-fed whole milk
- 3 Tbsp. organic arrowroot powder
- 3 Tbsp. unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the lard and heat until warm and bubbly.
- Cook the carrots over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 -2 minutes.
- Pour the stock, shredded chicken, green beans, peas into the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add Italian seasoning, pepper and salt; Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Mix the arrowroot powder and water together to make a slurry.
- Use the slurry to thicken the stew.
- Place the stew in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Mix the milk with the mashed potatoes until well blended.
- Cover the stew mixture with mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit, or until the mixture is bubbly around the edges.