I learned a lot about how to make refried beans at Serious Eats and have decided that a smashed pinto bean is the way to go instead of a pureed bean; However, feel free to change this recipe to suit your family’s needs.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups prepared Homemade Organic Tex-Mex Pinto Beans (leftover beans work great for this recipe)
- 1 cup reserved cooking liquid from cooking the beans
- 1 minced Homemade Organic Pickled Jalapeno, seeded if desired and more if you’d like it spicier (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded organic grass-fed Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. home rendered organic lard or tallow
Here’s How I do it:
- Smash the beans with a potato masher, do not puree.
- Heat a large skillet with some lard.
- Add the beans, minced jalapenos (if using) and reserved cooking liquid to the skillet.
- Fry the beans for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the the cheese (if using); Mix well.