I found this recipe in Classic Scandinavian Cooking by Nika Hazelton. I have adapted it to make it organic. This is a phenomenal recipe and would be delicious to serve for company.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1/4 cup organic Dijion-styled prepared mustard OR organic prepared brown mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Homemade Organic Prepared Horseradish
- 1 tsp. wild-caught anchovy paste
- 1 Tbsp. organic cane sugar
- 1 organic pastured pork loin, approximately 3-4 lbs.
- 2/3 cup fine Homemade Organic Breadcrumbs
- 2 cups boiling dry organic white wine (Frey Vineyards recommended) OR unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat the oven to 325° Fahrenheit.
- Combine horseradish, mustard, anchovy paste and sugar in a small bowl; Blend into a smooth paste.
- Trim excess fat off of meat (save to render into lard, or leave on and some of the fat will render while cooking.)
- With a brush, spread the paste on all sides of the meat.
- Place the meat into a casserole dish.
- Cover the top and sides of the meat with the fine bread crumbs.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes per pound of meat. (Approximately 2 to 2-3/4 hours)
- After 1 hour of roasting time, pour 1 cup of boiling white wine into the pan; Take special care that the wine doesn’t touch the meat directly.
- When the liquid in the bottom of the pan has evaporated completely, pour remaining wine (or water) into the pan; Again make sure that the liquid doesn’t touch the meat directly.
- Serve with Homemade Organic Browned Potatoes the Scandinavian Way, tiny Homemade Organic Peas Sauteed in Butter, and carrots.