Here’s What You’ll Need
- 2 cups cooked Homemade Organic Italian Sausage
- 24 oz. organic crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup organic minced yellow onion
- 3-4 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 3 – 4 Tbsp. organic tomato paste
- 3 cups Homemade Organic Pork Stock, Homemade Organic Beef Stock or Homemade Organic Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp. organic brown sugar
- 4-1/2 Tbsp. minced organic fresh basil OR 1-1/2 tsp. organic dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. organic fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. organic Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. organic freshly ground peppercorn blend
- 4 Tbsp. finely minced organic fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley stems OR 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. organic dried parsley flakes
- home rendered tallow or home rendered lard, for sauteing
Here’s How I do it:
- Warm a stock pot over medium-high heat.
- [Optional Step] If you are making the sausage in the same pot you are making this sauce, no additional lard or tallow should be necessary. Just remove all of the sausage before going to step 4.]
- Place the tallow or lard in the pot and allow it to get warm and bubbly.
- Place the onion, and garlic in the pot and allow to saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and stock.
- Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley; Stir until well blended.
- Add the Italian sausage and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. (You want this sauce to be thick and chunky so that it doesn’t make the lasagna soggy.)