I was inspired to create this recipe from Betty Crocker.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 4 organic hot dogs, sliced (double check that they’re made without synthetic additives)
- 1 Tbsp. home rendered lard or home rendered tallow
- 2-1/2 cups Homemade Organic Beef Stock OR Homemade Organic Pork Stock
- 2 cups organic short pasta (such as organic pipe rigate)
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 1 cup organic shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. Homemade Organic Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 cup diced organic yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced organic pepperoncini
- 2 Tbsp. minced organic sweet pickles OR 2 Tbsp. organic sweet relish
- 3 Tbsp. organic unbleached flour
- 3 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
Here’s How I do it:
- Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the lard or tallow and allow to get warm and bubbly.
- Saute the hot dog slices until lightly golden brown on each side; Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Pour the stock into the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and allow to boil once more.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Season with salt, pepper, pepperoncini and sweet pickles/relish.
- Cook for about 12 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
- Add the hot dog slices back into the skillet.
- Once the hot dog slices are warmed through, add the shredded cheese and blend thoroughly into the mixture.
- Add the roux and blend thoroughly into the mixture.