I found this recipe in the New York Times International Cookbook by Craig Claiborne and have adapted it slightly.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 4 organic shallots, chopped finely
- 6 organic peppercorns, crushed
- 2 sprigs organic parsley
- 1/2 tsp. organic dried thyme
- 1 cup organic dry red wine OR 1/2 cup organic red wine vinegar and 1/2 cup unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
- 1 organic bay leaf
- 1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1-1/4 cups Homemade Organic Espagnole or Brown Sauce (recommended) or Homemade Organic Beef Stock
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp. organic freshly ground peppercorn blend
- Juice of 1 organic lemon OR 1 Tbsp. organic bottled lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
Here’s How I do it:
- Combine the shallots, peppercorns, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, garlic and wine (or wine vinegar and water) in the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in the brown sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the salt and freshly ground pepper to the sauce and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve and bring just to a boil again.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Remove from heat and swirl in the butter.
- Serve hot with meat.