Here’s my method for making this fancy and flavorful stock.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb. (about 3-4) organic grass-fed veal or beef soup bones
- 2-4 sprigs organic fresh parsley, whole
- 3 organic carrots, thoroughly rinsed and cut into large pieces
- 1 organic yellow onion. peeled and cut into eighths
- 3 organic celery ribs, thoroughly rinsed and cut into large pieces
- 3 organic garlic cloves, unpeeled and whole
- unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
- freshly ground organic peppercorn blend
- 1-1/3 cups organic crushed tomatoes (do not add with vegetables)
Here’s How I do it:
- [Optional step] Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Place the bones in a 9″x13″ casserole dish and cook for 30 minutes. Add the vegetables and cook for 30 additional minutes. Remove the bones and vegetables and remove the fat from the pan (save for another use). Pour any juices into the pot along with the vegetables and bones.
- Add the vegetables, parsley, pepper and bones to an 8 quart stock pot and cover with 2 quarts of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 6 hours if you roasted the bones and vegetables or for 48 hours if you did not.
- Remove the bones and large vegetable pieces from the pot.
- Strain into 1-2 half-gallon glass Mason jars.
- Allow the stock to cool completely before placing in the refrigerator.
- Degrease (remove the fat from) the stock and place it into a clean stock pot.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pot and mix well.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat; Simmer for 30 minutes.