This recipe is inspired by Olive Garden’s Pasta e Fagioli recipe. This is an Italian pasta and bean soup. I found Damn Delicious‘ recipe; I modified it to make it organic and made from scratch.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup dry organic kidney beans
- 1 cup dry organic cannellini beans
- 1 cup organic cavatelli [baby shell] pasta (or other small shaped pasta)
- 2 cups cooked Homemade Organic Italian Sausage
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1 small organic yellow onion, diced
- 3 small or 2 medium organic carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs organic celery, sliced
- 6 cups Homemade Organic Pork Stock, Homemade Organic Beef Stock, Homemade Organic Brown Stock or Homemade Organic Chicken Stock (a combination works, too)
- 6 cups unfluoridated and unchlorinated water, divided
- 2 cups organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 organic beefsteak tomatoes, diced [2 cups] OR 2 cups organic diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. organic fresh basil OR *1 tsp. organic dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. organic fresh oregano OR *1 tsp organic dried oregano
- 2-1/4 tsp. organic fresh thyme OR *3/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Real Salt
- 1 tsp. organic freshly ground peppercorn blend
Here’s How I do it:
- Place 3 cups of water and stock into an 8 quart stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile rinse the beans thoroughly.
- Add the beans to the pot; Do not season with salt until the end of the cooking process or the beans might not get soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and thyme to the pot and return to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the pasta and remaining 3 cups of water to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil once again.
- Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the pasta and vegetables are tender.
- When there’s ten minutes of cooking time left, add the sausage, salt and pepper to the pot.