Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 [5 lb.] organic baking pumpkin
- 2 quarts unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
Here’s How I do it:
- Remove the seeds and stringy parts of the pumpkin; Reserve the seeds for Homemade Organic Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and the stringy parts for Homemade Organic Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- Cut the pumpkin into 2″ cubes. Try to keep the chunks the same size so that they’ll cook evenly.
- In a stockpot over high heat, bring pumpkin cubes and water to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook the pumpkin for 20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and reserve the cooking water (also for Homemade Organic Pumpkin Spice Syrup).
- Put the cooked pumpkin chunks into a blender. (If using a glass blender, temper the glass by putting really hot water into it and dumping it back out before adding the pumpkin chunks.)
- Blend until the pumpkin becomes a thick puree, adding the cooking liquid if necessary.
- Pour into jars with tight fitting lids and chill.