Here’s What You’ll Need:
- One recipe Organic English Pastry Crust or 3 cups Homemade Organic Basic Pastry Mix plus 5-7 Tbsp. cold unfluoridated and unchlorinated water — mix 1 tablespoon of water into the mix at a time until dough forms.
- 1 cup organic carrots, chopped
- 1 cup organic yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup organic sweet peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 cup organic celery, sliced
- 2-4 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Homemade Organic Chicken Stock
- 2 -3 cups shredded Homemade Organic Chicken Roast
- 4 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 4 Tbsp. organic unbleached white flour
- 1 Tbsp. home rendered schmaltz (chicken fat)
Here’s How I do it:
- Make the pastry crust, if you haven’t all ready done so.
- Line a 9″ pie plate with one of the crusts; Trim the crust at the edge of the pie plate.
- Preheat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the schmaltz and allow to heat until bubbly.
- Add the carrots and celery and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and flour to the mixture and stir until well blended.
- Pour the stock and chicken into the vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Top with the second pie crust; Cut slits into the crust to allow the steam to escape while cooking.
- Bake at 425° Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown and the mixture inside is bubbly.