This recipe is intended to be made ahead and frozen before serving. If you want to go ahead and serve it today add 15 – 20 minutes of cooking time once the soup is ready to be chilled.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups Homemade Organic Chicken Stock or Homemade Organic Turkey Stock
- 2 cups diced organic tomatoes
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen organic lima beans
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen organic corn
- 1 diced medium organic yellow onion
- 4 Tbsp. chopped organic fresh parsley OR 4 tsp. organic dried parsley (fresh is recommended)
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 2 cups organic grass-fed whole milk
- 1/2 cup organic unbleached white flour
- 2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. organic dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 tsp. organic ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. organic freshly ground peppercorn blend
- 4 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
Here’s How I do it:
- Bring the stock to almost boiling in a large stockpot.
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, onion, parsley and garlic to the stockpot.
- Cover the pot and bring the contents to a boil; Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a screw-top jar combine the milk, flour, salt, thyme, nutmeg and pepper; Cover the jar and shake until well blended.
- After the vegetables have simmered for 20 minutes, stir the milk mixture into the stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly; Add butter.
- Pour into sterilized glass jars and refrigerate for 4 hours; Freeze once the soup and jar are completely cooled.
- Before Serving: Remove chowder from containers. Heat in a saucepan until hot, about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Yields approximately 12 servings.