This recipe goes really well on the Homemade Organic Mocha Yule Log Cake.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 organic pastured egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. Frontier cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. Frontier organic almond extract
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- organic pasture butter
- organic unbleached white flour
- organic raw cocoa powder, to garnish
Here’s How I do it:
- Grease two cookie sheets with butter.
- Lightly dust the cookie sheets with flour; Make sure to tap off any excess flour.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and almond extract until foamy white and double in volume.
- Sprinkle in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, while using a stand mixer or hand mixer/immersion blender with whisk attachment until the meringue stands in firm peaks.
- Assemble a pastry bag using unbleached parchment paper.
- Attach a plain tip to the pastry bag; Spoon meringue into the bag.
- To make mushroom caps: a) Press out the meringue into 1-1/2″ rounds. b) Smooth the top of each, if needed, with a knife; Do not flatten.
- To make mushroom stems: a) Hold pastry bag upright then press out meringue, pulling straight up on the bag for 1-1/2 inches.
- Bake at 250° Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, or until firm but not brown.
- Allow to stand for several minutes before placing on a cooling rack to completely cool.
- In a double saucepan with simmering water in the bottom, melt the chocolate.
- Working carefully, place a small hollow in the underside of each mushroom cap with the tip of a wooden spoon handle.
- Fill the hollow with some of the melted chocolate.
- Press the stem into the hollow.
- Allow to stand until the chocolate is firm.
- Dust the tops of the mushrooms with cocoa powder, if you wish.
- Store in a glass jar with tight fitting lid in a dry place.