This is a wonderful cake to make during the winter holiday season. The cake is chocolate and the filling is coffee.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 4 organic pasture eggs
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp. Homemade Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup sifted organic unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup raw organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. Homemade Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 recipe Homemade Organic Coffee Cream Frosting
- organic pasture butter, to grease pan
- organic cane sugar, to dust clean kitchen towel
- crushed organic pistachios, for garnish (if desired)
Here’s How I do it:
- Make the Homemade Organic Mini Meringue Mushrooms, if using.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat the organic eggs.
- Add sugar and beat until the mixture is thick; Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift all of the dry ingredients.
- Into the egg mixture, fold in the sifted dry ingredients.
- Grease a heavy stainless steel 15x10x1″ baking pan with butter.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pan and bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 25 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with cane sugar.
- When the cake is done, turn it onto the sugar lined towel.
- Roll the towel and the cake together making a layer of cake and a layer of towel.
- Wrap the towel tightly and place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Make Homemade Organic Coffee Cream Frosting.
- Once the frosting is finished and the cake is cooled, unroll the cake carefully.
- Use half of the cream to evenly frost the cake where the towel once was; Reroll the cake.
- Frost the outside of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Attach the Homemade Organic Mini Meringue Mushrooms, if using, to the outside of the cake.
- Sprinkle with chocolate curls and top with crushed pistachios (to look like moss), if desired.
- Chill for at least one hour, or until serving time.
- Slice crosswise into 1″ thick slices.