This is a way to kick a traditional strata up a notch and it’s wonderful to prepare when you don’t have the time to make traditional pizza dough and there’s leftover bread on hand.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 6-8 slices Homemade Organic Old-Fashioned Whole Wheat Bread or Homemade Organic Old-Fashioned White Bread, torn into small pieces
- 1-2 Tbsp. home rendered schmaltz or tallow
- 1 cup diced organic yellow onion
- 1 cup diced organic green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced organic cremini mushrooms
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 2 cups shredded Homemade Organic Beef Roast
- 2 cups shredded Homemade Organic Chicken Roast
- 10 organic kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cup Best Homemade Organic Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup shredded/chunked organic mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated organic Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup grated organic Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup grated organic Asiago cheese
- 2 organic pasture eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Homemade Organic Beef Stock, Homemade Organic Chicken Stock or Homemade Organic Pork Stock
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp. organic freshly grated organic peppercorn blend
Here’s How I do it:
- Tear the bread into bite sized pieces; Put half of them into a 9×13″ casserole.
- In a small saucepan, saute onion, green pepper, and mushrooms for 4-5 minutes with a sprinkle of salt; Add garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Spoon vegetables over the bread.
- Layer the shredded chicken and beef on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle sliced olives on top of the casserole.
- Pour a layer of pizza sauce on top of the mixture.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Mix the Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino Romano and Asiago cheeses in a small bowl; Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture on top of the casserole.
- Arrange the remaining bread cubes on top of the cheese; Top with the other 1/2 of grated cheeses.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together eggs, stock, Real Salt and pepper; Pour on top of layered strata.
- Cover; Chill for 3-24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings.