Use one pint of this mix instead of 1 lb. loose Italian sausage in recipes.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 3 lbs. organic pastured ground pork
- 3 organic pasture eggs
- 1 Tbsp. organic red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 tsp. organic freshly-ground peppercorn blend
- 12 sprigs organic Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely minced OR 1 Tbsp. plus 1-1/2 tsp. organic dried parsley flakes
- 1 small organic garlic bulb, peeled and minced [ approx 9-12 organic garlic cloves]
- 3 Tbsp. minced organic fresh basil leaves OR 1 Tbsp. organic dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. organic ground paprika
- 2 Tbsp. organic red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. organic fennel seeds
- 3/4 tsp. organic brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. organic dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp. organic dried thyme
- 2 cups Homemade Organic Soft Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup chopped organic celery
- 1 cup chopped organic yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped organic carrot
- 1 cup chopped organic green bell pepper
Here’s How I do it:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs slightly.
- In a large stainless steel mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, red wine vinegar, eggs, ground peppercorn blend, parsley, minced garlic, paprika, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, brown sugar, oregano, and thyme; DO NOT smash the meat as it will make it a weird texture, instead pull the meat apart gently and mix carefully with your fingers.
- Cover and refrigerate the sausage mixture for 24 hours.
- Gently mix in celery, onion, carrot, bell pepper and breadcrumbs into the sausage mixture.
- Cook half of the mixture in a large skillet or the bottom of a wide stockpot until the meat is lightly browned; Repeat with remaining half of mixture.
- Allow the mixture to cool; Measure into 2-cup portions (wide-mouth pint jars with tight-fitting lids) and freeze.
- Yields 7 pints of mix.