This is What You’ll Need:
- pastured organic pork fat
- 1/4 cup unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
Here’s How I do it:
- Cube the pork fat and save the big chunks of pork for something else,
- Place the water and fat cubes into a slow cooker; Heat on low for 6-10 hours (depending on the amount of pork fat and the temperature of your slow cooker), until the fat is completely rendered and the cracklings are crispy, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cracklings from the lard and store in separate containers.
- Pour the lard into pint sized Mason jars and allow them to cool before refrigerating; Freeze after completely chilled in the freezer, if desired.
- I store extra lard and cracklings seperately in the freezer.