Here’s What You’ll Need:
For the Hamburger Helper:
- 1 lb. grass-fed organic ground beef OR 1 pint Homemade Organic Freezer Ground Beef Mix (1 lb. pastured organic ground pork; OR 1 pint Homemade Organic Freezer Ground Pork Mix may be substituted.)
- 1-1/2 cups organic brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. home rendered tallow OR organic pasture butter
- 1-1/2 cups Homemade Organic Beef Stock
- 1-1/2 cups Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock
- 3 Tbsp. organic tomato paste
- 3/4 cup diced organic yellow onion
- 3/4 cup diced organic tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves organic garlic, minced (optional)
- 2 tsp. Real Salt, divided
- 2 tsp. Homemade Organic Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp. organic chili pepper powder
- 1 tsp. organic paprika
- 1/4 tsp. organic turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. organic cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups organic corn tortilla chips, smashed (they use white corn in the box, but blue corn would add much more color)
- Garnish options (Use any combination of the following, as desired): sliced Homemade Organic Pickled Jalapenos, sliced Homemade Organic Pickled Serranos, sliced organic kalamata olives, silced organic garlic-stuffed green olives, organic green onions, fresh organic cilantro, organic shredded or sliced lettuce,and/or diced organic avocados.
For the Topping Mix:
- 3 Tbsp. organic masa harina (corn flour)
- 2 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 1/2 cup grass-fed organic whole milk
- 1/4 cup organic sour cream
- 1/4 cup Homemade Organic Sweet Whey (not powdered)
- 1 cup shredded organic cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. organic blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. organic freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. organic turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. organic paprika
Here’s How I do it:
- Prepare the Rice: Place the rice, 1 Tbsp. home rendered tallow/organic pasture butter, 1 tsp. Real Salt,1-1/2 cups of vegetable stock and 1-1/2 cups of beef stock into a 1 quart saucepan with lid; Cover, bring to a boil then immediately reduce the heat and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- If using Homemade Organic Freezer Beef Mix or Homemade Organic Freezer Ground Pork Mix: Pour 1/4 cup unchlorinated and unfluoridated water into a deep saucepan with lid; Add the frozen meat mix, and onions. Simmer for 15 minutes over medium heat, covered. Uncover; break up the frozen chunks into smaller pieces, then add the tomatoes and garlic. Cover and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Proceed with step 5.
- Brown the beef in a saucepan until halfway done.
- Add the onions then saute with the ground beef for 5 minutes; Add the tomatoes and garlic, then saute until the beef is brown and the onions are clear.
- Pour in the beef stock, vegetable stock and tomato paste; Stir well.
- Stir in 1/2 tsp. salt, chili pepper powder, taco seasoning and turmeric until well blended.
- While the dish is simmering, make the topping mix: In a chef’s saucepan, warm the 2 Tbsp. butter (or tallow) until bubbly; Add the flour, 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1/2 tsp. turmeric, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; Cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Pour 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup whey into the flour mixture and stir until well combined; Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. Add the cheeses to the milk mixture while stirring to blend. Make sure to stir often or the sauce will try to burn. Leave on lowest heat setting, covered; Stir occasionally until needed. (DO NOT cook on higher than a medium temperature!)
- Slowly bring the skillet mixture to a boil then simmer, covered, until the rice is finished; Stir in the cooked rice.
- Crumble the corn chips and sprinkle over the rice mixture
- Drizzle the cheese sauce over the crumbled corn chips.
- Garnish with any combination of the following, as desired: sliced Homemade Organic Pickled Jalapenos, sliced Homemade Organic Pickled Serranos, sliced organic kalamata olives, silced organic garlic-stuffed green onions, fresh organic cilantro, organic shredded or sliced lettuce, sliced organic green onions, and/or diced organic avocados.