Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1/3 cup dry organic pinto beans
- 1/3 cup dry organic kidney beans
- 1/3 cup dry organic garbanzo beans
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 2 tsp. Homemade Organic Southwest Chipotle Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. home rendered schmaltz
- 1 cup Homemade Organic Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock
- unchlorinated and unfluoridated water, to keep beans covered
- Homemade Organic Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas; OR Homemade Organic Flour Tortillas may be substituted
- 1 medium organic tomato, diced
- 1 medium organic yellow onion, diced small
- 1 pint [2 cups] Homemade Organic Sour Cream Sauce
- 1 pint [2 cups] Homemade Organic Red Enchilada Sauce with Long Hot Peppers
- 2 cups shredded organic chipotle cheddar cheese; OR shredded organic cheddar cheese (sprinkle ground chipotle pepper on top)
Here’s How I do it:
To Prepare Beans:
- Place all dry beans, salt, chipotle seasoning, schmaltz, chicken stock and vegetable stock in a 2 quart saucepan; Cover with 2″ water.
- Bring beans to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours (or until beans are tender), stirring and adding water occasionally.
To Assemble Enchiladas:
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Place some of the red sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13″ casserole.
- In a line in the middle of a tortilla, place drained bean mixture, tomatoes, onions, sour cream sauce and shredded cheese, roll and place seam-side-down in the casserole; Repeat until all tortillas are completed.
- Spread the remaining sour cream sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Spread the enchilada sauce on top of the cream sauce.
- Sprinkle any remaining onions on top of the sauces.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the onion.
- Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and sides are bubbly.