Here’s What You’ll Need:
Ground Beef Mixture:
- 1 lb. grass-fed organic ground beef; OR 1 pint Homemade Organic Freezer Ground Beef Mix; OR 1 pint Homemade Organic Freezer Ground Beef Mix with Mushrooms and Onion
- 1 Tbsp. reserved Homemade Organic Smoked Bacon grease
- 3 Tbsp. organic unbleached white flour
- 1 cup small diced organic yellow onion
- 3/4 cup Homemade Organic Beef Stock
- 1/2 cup Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 cup organic sour cream
- 8 to 10 small organic potatoes
- 1/2 cup grass-fed organic whole milk (optional; use 1/2 cup unchlorinated and unfluoridated water instead)
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 3 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground organic peppercorn blend
- 2 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 2 Tbsp. organic unbleached white flour
- 1 cup grass-fed organic whole milk
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp. organic paprika
- 1/2 tsp. organic ground turmeric
- 4 slices Homemade Organic Smoked Bacon, cooked and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. freshly chopped organic chives; OR 2 tsp. organic dried chives
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish with additional pasture butter.
- In a deep frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp, then chop into small bits and set aside; Reserve 1 tablespoon grease in pan (reserve the rest for future use) and add 2 tablespoons of flour to the grease and stir until well combined.
- Make Mashed Potatoes: In a large stockpot, bring a half-gallon of water to a boil. Meanwhile, scrub and cube potatoes (peel if desired). Add the cubed potatoes to the boiling water and cook for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from boiling water, add milk, butter, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Make Ground Beef Mixture:
- If using Homemade Organic Freezer Meat Mix: Pour 1/2 cup unchlorinated and unfluoridated water into the pan used to fry the bacon; Add the frozen mix, and onions. Simmer for 15 minutes over medium heat, covered. Uncover; break up the frozen chunks into smaller pieces. Cover and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. (proceed to step c)
- If using grass-fed organic ground beef: Put the beef in the same frying pan used to crisp the bacon, add the onions. Cook over medium heat until the meat is browned and the onions are translucent. (proceed to step c)
- Add the beef stock, vegetable stock, salt, pepper and sour cream to the meat mixture; Cook until thickened and bubbly, set aside.
- Make Cheese Sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then add the flour, stirring until thick and smooth. Pour in the milk, salt, pepper, paprika and turmeric, whisking until well combined. Cook the mixture until it thickens, then add the cheese and stir until blended. Keep on the back burner on low heat until needed.
- To Assemble Casserole: Pour the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the prepared mashed potatoes, spreading to coat evenly. Top with the warmed cheese sauce. Sprinkle the top with bacon pieces and chives.
- Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 20- 25 minutes or until heated through; The casserole should be bubbly at the sides.