Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 4 Tbsp. organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large organic yellow onion, chopped [1 cup]
- 1 medium organic carrot, chopped [1/2 cup] (optional)
- 1 [24 oz.] jar organic crushed tomatoes [2-1/2 cups]
- 2-1/2 cups unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
- 3 fresh organic basil leaves, finely chopped; OR 1 tsp. organic dried basil
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano; OR 1/2 tsp. organic dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. Homemade Organic Roasted Garlic Paste; OR Homemade Organic Garlic Puree; OR 3-4 organic garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped.
- 2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 tsp. organic cane sugar (optional; use if not adding carrots)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground organic peppercorn blend
Here’s How I do it:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until bubbly.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic to the oil and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, sugar, basil, and oregano to the vegetable mixture; Stir well and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and water to the saucepan; Stir until well blended.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer; Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into a half-gallon Mason jar.
- Blend this sauce with an immersion blender to thicken.
- This makes 4-5 cups of sauce and this recipe can be doubled or quadrupled without issues (puree in batches and/or use larger jars, if necessary).