Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups unchlorinated and unfluoridated water
- 2 cups organic strained tomatoes or organic tomato puree
- 4 minced organic garlic cloves
- 2 cups chopped organic yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp. organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. organic powdered chipotle pepper or 3 – 4 organic chipotles in ancho sauce
- 2 tsp. organic dried oregano
- 4 tsp. organic ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 2 Tbsp. organic sour cream
Here’s How I do it:
- Heat a deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Place the fat (schmaltz, tallow or lard) into the pan and heat until warm and bubbly.
- Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until the onions and garlic are light brown around the edges.
- Place the onions, garlic and stock into a 1/2 gallon Mason jar.
- Puree the mixture using an immersion blender.
- Pour the mixture back into the frying pan.
- Add oregano, chipotle, garlic, onion, salt and tomato puree.
- Mix until well blended.
- Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes or until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the sour cream into the sauce before serving; omit if canning this recipe.