I scoured the internet to find a recipe that I liked, but there weren’t any, so I created this dish.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
For the Sauce:
- 4 Tbsp. organic sunflower oil (Spectrum Organic recommended)
- 4 Tbsp. bleached organic white flour
- 3 cups Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground organic white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. organic ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. organic ground sage
For the Casserole:
- 1 head organic cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 bunch organic broccoli, cut into florets (peel, dice and save the stems for another use)
- 1 cup finely diced organic yellow onion
- 3-4 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 cups cooked organic brown rice
- 1-2 cups crushed GMO-free potato chips (Use organic if you can find them! Keeping the crumbs leftover from the bag is a frugal way to obtain the crumbs, too. Kettle brand plain potato chips recommended)
Here’s How I do it:
- Prepare the rice, if it’s not all ready cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Begin making the sauce: Heat the sunflower oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat until hot, then add the flour and stir to combine; Cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add the stock to the pot a little at a time (1/2 cup to start, then a cup at a time is okay.) whisking while totally incorporated. Do this until all the stock is added. Season with salt, pepper, turmeric and sage and whisk until well blended; Keep on the stove over low heat until ready to pour over casserole.
- Prepare the garlic, onion, cauliflower and broccoli, if not all ready done.
- Set the rice and vegetables into a 9″x13″ casserole dish, stir until well blended.
- Pour the warm sauce over the vegetable mixture and stir until completely incorporated.
- Top with the potato chip crumbs. (If making ahead, do not add crumbs until ready to bake, put the casserole in a cold oven and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes.)
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the sides of the casserole are bubbly.