Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups organic macaroni pasta
- 3 Tbsp. organic pasture butter, plus additional for keeping the pasta from sticking
- 3 Tbsp. organic unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 3 cups grass-fed organic whole milk
- 1 cup shredded organic pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded organic chipotle cheddar cheese; OR 1 cup shredded organic cheddar cheese PLUS 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. organic ground chipotle
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs from Homemade Organic Copycat Kraft Fresh Take Spicy Chipotle Cheddar
- 1/2 cup cheese mixture from Homemade Organic Copycat Kraft Fresh Take Spicy Chipotle Cheddar
Here’s How I do it:
To Cook Macaroni:
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Bring 2 quarts of unchlorinated and unfluoridated water to a boil along with a pinch of salt.
- Add the macaroni to the water and cook until just under al dente, approximately 3-1/2 to 4 minutes; Strain, and top with a little bit of butter or organic extra-virgin olive oil to keep them from sticking.
To Make Cheese Sauce:
- In a medium chef’s saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp. butter over medium-high heat; Add 3 Tbsp. flour, salt and ground chipotle pepper (if using) and stir until well combined, then cook for a minute.
- Add the milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time; Whisk in-between adding the milk to ensure that the sauce remains smooth.
- Once the mixture has thickened, begin adding cheeses one half-handful at a time; Stir in-between additions to keep the sauce smooth.
To Assemble Casserole:
- Combine the 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup cheese mixture from the Homemade Organic Copycat Kraft Fresh Take Spicy Chipotle Cheddar recipe.
- Place the cooked macaroni into an 8″ X 8″ casserole dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce on top of the macaroni and stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle the seasoned breadcrumb and cheese mixture on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 35 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbling at the sides, the breadcrumbs are lightly browned and the cheese is melted on top.