Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 gallon grass-fed organic whole milk with cream-on-top (or add grass-fed organic heavy cream)
- 1/4 cup organic distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup organic champagne vinegar (or add 1/4 cup organic distilled white vinegar to make 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. Real Salt
Here’s How I do it:
- Heat the milk over medium heat until it reaches 180° Fahrenheit, this takes approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I recommend doing other kitchen tasks while waiting on the milk to heat.)
- Take the milk off of the heat, then add the vinegar; Allow it to stand for 1 minute to curdle.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth lined sieve for about 1 hour, longer if you want your cheese drier.
- Do NOT toss the liquid, that’s sweet whey! This recipe makes approximately 14 cups of whey and 3 cups of ricotta cheese.
- Both the cheese and whey can be frozen. I chose to freeze the ricotta in three 1-cup glass Mason jars and the whey in pint glass Mason jars, both with tight-fitting lids.