For the Muffins:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 7 Tbsp. [1 stick minus 1 Tbsp.] organic pasture butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 large organic pasture eggs
- 2 1/4 cups organic unbleached white flour, PLUS 2 Tbsp. for dusting shredded apple
- 4 tsp. Homemade Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 cup grass-fed organic whole milk
- 1-1/2 tsp. Homemade Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 cups shredded organic tart apples (such as organic Granny Smith)
- 1-2 tsp. organic 100% lemon juice
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Core each apple, then shred and combine with lemon juice; Set aside.
- Once the butter and sugar are creamed, add each egg into the electric mixer separately and mix well in between.
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir the flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two segments, alternating with the milk and vanilla.
- Stir until just evenly moistened. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Combine the shredded apple and 2 Tbsp. flour until well coated.
- Using a large spatula, fold in the shredded apples until just evenly distributed, no more than a few strokes. Take care not to break up the fruit. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it level with the cup.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle each muffin with streusel.
- Place back into the oven and bake until golden, dry and springy to the touch, approximately an additional 8 – 13 minutes. A toothpick inserted to the center of the muffin should come out clean.
- Place the muffins on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For the Streusel:
- 1/2 cup organic unbleached white flour
- 2 Tbsp. organic cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp. organic light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp. organic ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. organic pastured butter, cut into small pieces
Here’s How I do it:
- Mix together the flour, sugar, light brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the mixture just until coarse crumbs form.