I have slightly adapted the recipe from Hilah Cooking.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 3 Tbsp.organic pasture butter; OR grass-fed beef tallow
- 1 medium organic yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 organic garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-2 whole Homemade Organic Pickled Jalapenos, finely chopped [1/3 cup]
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
- 12 oz. organic porter beer; OR 1-1/2 cups Homemade Organic Beef Stock
- 2 tsp. Real Salt
- 2 tsp. organic red chili pepper powder
- 1 tsp. organic ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground organic peppercorn blend
- 1/2 tsp. dry organic yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. organic Worcestershire sauce (Annie’s is great)
- 2 Tbsp. organic jarred tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar; OR Homemade Organic Pickled Jalapeno brine (optional)
Here’s How I do it:
- Heat butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until warm and bubbly.
- Add onion and saute for about 1 minute; Stir in the jalapeno and garlic and saute for 30 seconds more.
- Lay the unwrapped chunk of ground beef on top of the onion mixture.
- Pour in the beer or stock, then add salt, red chili pepper powder, cumin, pepper, dry yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste.
- Break up the ground beef into chunks.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if necessary, and add vinegar if the sauce needs a little zip.
- This makes approximately 1 quart of sauce.