I have greatly modified this recipe from All Things Mac and Cheese.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups dry organic penne pasta
- 5 Tbsp. organic unbleached white flour
- 3 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 1 cup Homemade Organic Sweet Whey
- 1 cup grass-fed organic whole milk
- 1 cup shredded organic mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. organic dried basil
- 2 tsp. Real Salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground organic white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups freshly diced organic tomatoes
- 3/4 cup sliced organic green onions
- 1 recipe Homemade Organic Margharita Topping
Here’s How I do it:
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Bring 1 gallon of water and 1 tsp. Real Salt to a boil; Add the pasta and cook for 6-8 minutes, not to al dente, drain and place into an 8x8x2″ baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a chef’s saucepan until warm and add the flour; Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the whey/milk little by little until all of it is incorporated into the roux.
- Add the mozzarella a handful at a time and stir until melted.
- Stir in the salt, basil and white pepper until well blended.
- Add the tomatoes, green onions and cheese sauce to the pasta and stir until well comined.
- Sprinkle the Homemade Organic Margharita Topping over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit.