Here’s What You’ll Need:
For the Enchilada Skillet:
- 1-1/2 cups organic brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. home rendered tallow; OR 2 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef; OR 1 pint Homemade Organic Freezer Ground Beef Mix (1 lb. ground organic pastured pork or 1 pint Homemade Organic Freezer Ground Pork Mix may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup diced organic yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced organic red bell pepper
- 2-3 organic garlic cloves, minced; OR 1 tsp. Homemade Organic Garlic Puree
- 1/2 cup diced organic tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Homemade Organic Tex-Mex Beans (optional)
- 1 cup PLUS 1/2 cup (divided) Homemade Organic Beef Stock
- 1 cup PLUS 1/2 cup (divided) Homemade Organic Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tbsp. jarred organic tomato paste
- 2-1/2 tsp. Real Salt, divided
- 1 tsp. Homemade Organic Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp. organic paprika
- 1 tsp. organic chili pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp. organic red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. organic ground turmeric
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 3 Tbsp. organic unbleached white flour
- 2 Tbsp. organic pasture butter
- 3/4 cup grass-fed organic whole milk
- 1/4 cup Homemade Organic Sweet Whey
- 3/4 cup shredded organic cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Homemade Organic Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. organic blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. organic freshly ground white pepper
Here’s How I do it:
- Prepare the Rice: Place the rice, home rendered tallow/organic pasture butter, 1 tsp. Real Salt,1-1/2 cups of vegetable stock and 1-1/2 cups of beef stock into a 1 quart saucepan with lid; Cover, bring to a boil then immediately reduce the heat and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- If using Homemade Organic Freezer Ground Meat Mix: Pour 1/2 cup unchlorinated and unfluoridated water into a deep saucepan with lid; Add the frozen meat mix, onions, bell pepper and tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes over medium heat, covered. Uncover; break up the frozen chunks into smaller pieces. Add the garlic; Cover and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Proceed with step 5.
- Brown the ground meat in a saucepan until halfway done.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, tomatoes and garlic and saute with the ground beef for 6 to 7 minutes until the beef is brown and the onions are clear.
- Add 1/2 cup beef stock, 1/2 cup vegetable stock and 2 Tbsp. tomato paste; Stir well.
- Add the taco seasoning, paprika, chili pepper powder, red pepper flakes (if using), turmeric and 1-1/2 tsp. salt; Stir well.
- Slowly bring the mixture to a boil then simmer, covered, until the brown rice is fully cooked.
- While the dish is simmering, make the cheese sauce: In a chef’s saucepan, warm the 2 Tbsp. butter until bubbly; Add the flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Pour 3/4 cup milk into the flour mixture and stir until well combined; cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. Add the cheeses to the thickened mixture a little at a time while stirring to blend; Make sure to stir often or the sauce will try to burn. Cover and leave on lowest heat setting to keep warm until needed. (DO NOT cook on higher than a medium temperature!)
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Drizzle the cheese sauce on top of the rice mixture.
- Top with Homemade Organic Pickled Jalapenos and/or green onions, if desired.